Season 1, Episode 7: The Art of Green Construction
High-performance or green home building is as much art as it is science. In this episode, we spoke to author and green building expert Matt Belcher and Kyle Smith from Geocomfort Geothermal. We discussed how building a high-performance home that is better for your budget and the environment.
In this episode, we delve into the basics of:
- How to build a more energy-efficient home
- The importance of insulation & attention to the thermal envelope
- Options and levels of energy efficiency
- Geothermal and solar tax credits
- What certifications & qualifications to look for when considering a green home builder
- Solar shingles & emerging technologies in high-performance home building
- The real ROI/savings of green building - lower maintenance, utility bills, higher home resale value
- Green Home Energy Scores & Certifications - RESNET, Energy Star, LEED, HERS
BETTER IS BETTER.
You've probably heard us say that we build "better homes."
What exactly do we mean by better?
Our homes are built better from the ground up. We focus first and foremost on building a home with a tighter thermal envelope. This means that we are ensuring that your home is built to prevent energy and air leaks and moisture infiltration.
Typically-built homes lose up to 40% of their heating and cooling because of duct leaks, poor insulation, or drafty windows and doors.
Once we have ensured that the exterior thermal envelope of your home is built to our standards, we further protect your home with thorough caulking and sealing, advanced insulating techniques, and higher-grade windows and doors throughout.