There is more to green home building than sourcing sustainable materials - it is an approach to home building that also ensures your home is more comfortable, durable, and energy-efficient than conventionally built new homes. Every home we build is above code, and we adhere to the highest standards for home building.
When Hibbs Homes built the first St Louis Home Builder Association’s certified green home, we knew that building green was a better way to build - and the right thing to do. Since then, we have built nearly 100 green, high-performance homes and we are leading the industry as Missouri’s Best Energy Efficient Home Builder two years in a row.
Why Should I Build A Green Home?
A green home is, by design, a better-built home because it relies on higher-performing materials and practices to provide more durability and better energy efficiency - reducing waste and your cost for utilities and maintenance. Far from a trend, sustainable home building is an investment in a higher quality home that provides you with:
- A more comfortable home with lower utility costs.
- Increased durability and fewer maintenance costs.
- Cleaner, healthier indoor air quality.
- Higher resale values.
From creating a healthier home for family members with allergies or asthma to building a home that is energy efficient by design to proactively manage the cost of utilities, our clients choose to build a custom green home for a variety of reasons. Sustainable home building is an investment that includes and extends beyond lowering your home’s environmental impact and results in a Better-Built Custom Home overall.
St. Louis’s Most Trusted, Reputable Green Home Builder
In 2012, we teamed up with the Belgium-based Active House Alliance to build the first Active House in North America. Built in Webster Groves, MO, this home serves as a prototype that met and exceeded four major North American building certifications: The National Green Building Standard, Energy STAR, EPA Indoor airPlus, and the Building America Builders Challenge.
As one of the leading high-performance home builders in St Louis, we continue to partner with organizations that help move green building standards forward. We are an Energy STAR partner, designated RESNET builder, and the only ComfortBuilt-certified home builder in St Louis.
St. Louis’s ComfortBuilt Home Builder
Hibbs Homes has built a partnership with the building scientists at Owens Corning® to perfect our home building techniques, allowing us to offer our clients the most comfortable, energy-efficient homes available today. St Louis is known as having some of the most variable weather in the Midwest with variable patterns of heat, cold, and moisture. Our ComfortBuilt Homes are engineered to keep you comfortable inside while withstanding the changes outside. Our approach to green home building incorporates higher performance materials and energy efficiency - from the ground up. It is just part of how we deliver on our promise of Better-Built Custom Homes.
Standard features of our ComfortBuilt Homes include:
- PINK® Insulation - From top to bottom, our homes are wrapped in a blanket of PINK® Insulation, which has superior acoustic, thermal, and durability properties for a quieter, more comfortable home.
- FOAMULAR Extruded Polystyrene (XPS) Rigid Foam Insulation - This trusted insulation product offers a continuous layer of insulation that is more durable and offers exceptional moisture management properties to provide a more comfortable, energy-efficient home for years to come.
- Tight Thermal Envelope - One of the most critical elements of energy-efficient home building, better wall and roof assembly, better window installation, and high-quality insulation protect the inside of your home from everything outside.
- Controlled Ventilation - A tightly-sealed thermal envelope allows us to control the exchange of air from the outside of your home, allow proper ventilation, and necessary fresh air exchange without introducing allergens, moisture, and other air pollutants.
- Right-Sized High-Efficiency Systems - Proper HVAC sizing and energy-efficient design reduces wasteful operations and wear and tear while ensuring your whole home is comfortable, no matter the weather.
- Energy Efficient Windows, Doors, and Appliances -
- Solar Lot and Window Orientation - During the design process, we take into consideration the placement of your home on your lot, so your home is energy efficient by design. For example, we will place windows and doors to allow in optimal natural light while preventing solar heating. These design decisions impact how your home performs over time and are an essential part of our approach to green home building.
If you are considering building an energy-efficient home in St Louis, call one of our sustainable home building experts to learn more about the options and benefits of building green.